Friday, November 2, 2012

Why I Blog For My Dog

Hi all of Oscar's blog followers. I know I usually blog in Oscar's voice, but today I am writing from my point of view.

When I tell people that I have a blog for my dog, they either think it's totally awesome or that I'm completely crazy. It's one of those things that some people just don't get. I explain to them that there really isn't one specific purpose to the blog, but several. I blog about favorite parks, dog or pet events, review pet related products, promote businesses, and more!

I raise awareness for puppy mills because they absolutely disgust me and I want to help make them stop. I do this for my Chihuahua Sadie, who was a puppy mill survivor rescue, and any other animals who have to suffer like she did. I fight for those who don't have a voice for themselves. I encourage adopting a shelter animal instead of buying from a breeder for several reasons.

1) There are so many loving animals(dogs, cats, guinea pigs, rabbits, ferrets, etc.) that are in shelters or foster care that need homes. Many are killed because the shelters don't have enough room or the animals have been there too long. Many times the elderly animals have the hardest times finding homes because the young ones get adopted first. It's so sad because, often times, the seniors are the sweetest ones.

2)It seems like rescued animals are always so much more grateful because you saved them and they know it. I got Oscar when he was 8 weeks old and he is happy to see me when I get home, but Sadie gets REALLY HAPPY when I return home from work. I mean, she won't stop dancing around me and scratching at my legs until I say hi to her and give her loves. I think they are just so thankful that you gave them a loving home, that they want to show you everyday how much they really appreciate what you have done for them.

3)Because no animal deserves to be left behind. Some get overlooked because they are scared and don't want to come close to you. These special animals are the ones that need the most love. Take Sadie for example. I worked at a dog kennel when her puppy mill was raided. The kennel took in some of the dogs to help the shelters out and Sadie was among them, along with her 7 puppies. She was so scared and she would sit in the back corner of the kennel all day. Every time someone came near her, she would poop or pee because she was so frightened. When it came time for the dogs to go to foster homes, all the social dogs got taken first. Nobody wanted to take Sadie. There was something about her that struck my soul. Maybe it was the fear in her eyes or her look of pure innocence. Whatever it was, I knew that I was going to take her. It was the best thing I have ever done. I know she probably would have been put to sleep had I not taken her. She just didn't want anything to do with people and would bite somethimes out of fear. You would never know it if you saw her now.


I was really touched the other day when I received a message via Facebook from a follower of Oscar named Judy. Over the last few days a whole story has unfolded and I will share it with you now. It will help you understand more about why I do what I do.


This was the first message I got from Judy on October 26th:

* Oscar, please pray for us. We are in the process of adopting a rescue Boston Terrier. We need a name for him. He is about 5-7 years old and is a good boy! We have to wait one more business day as his owner has not shown up yet. If we get him we will find out Tuesday morning. I know this is the right thing to do and is the perfect time for us. My only wish is that he will get along with the 2 cats and Lucy. We love him already.*


I was so glad to hear this since Oscar and I are all about adoption. I told her that I would be praying for their family. Then, we received another message on Tuesday October 30th.


* Oscar and family: We get to bring home Barney tomorrow to his forever home. His owner never came to pick him up so we are adopting him. We have no clue what he has been through but is a really neat dog. He is in the pound overnight recovering from his neutering. He has a very stressed out stomach and has an ulcer. We are going to have to give him several different meds but I am a nurse so can handle just about anything. We are introducing Barney and Lucy at the vet office so we can make sure everything goes well. I am a little concerned but am confident they will figure it out. I will post pictures when we have a moment. I feel like a new Mom getting to bring home another addition! It is an awesome feeling to be able to give love unconditionally! Sadie is our inspiration and I know she has an awesome life! Thanks for "featuring" her on Oscar's page!*


That was the message that really touched me. To have Sadie be an inspiration is an amazing feeling. It's things like this that keep me going everyday and continue helping animals find homes on behalf of Oscar. It's people like Judy who understand what Oscar and I stand for. I sent this Message back to her.


* Thank you for sharing! It's hearing things like this that keep us doing what we do. I'm so glad that Sadie could be an inspiration for you. It may be some work in the beginning but it's all worth it in the end. After saving Sadie, I can't imagine doing anything but adopting.

In fact, you may have heard that my parent (Oscar's human grandparents just adopted a dog today. They had talked about buying one from a breeder, but I convinced them to just look at petfinder.com. Sure enough, they found Harry. It's just two more happy endings!

I know Barney will be in a great home with people who love him. If you ever have any questions, please feel free to ask them as I know what adopting a rescue is like.

Kathryn, Oscar, Sadie and the rest of the gang*


I got this message back and it reminded me of what my life was like after I first brought Sadie home with me.


* He is such a cute boy in need of love, food and a stable environment. We have no clue what type of a situation he came from so he is really stressed. We pick him up in an hour. I will try to take some pictures and get them to you but probably not today. I just want to settle in with him and get his stomach settled down. He has had massive diarrhea for the past 5 days. All he needs is love! I will be encouraging people to adopt vs buy from a breeder! I am sure I will be in touch with you with some questions so I am going to thank you in advance and thanks for sharing our story. I will be sharing Oscar's page with people too! All for now.


Again, this brought tears to my eyes. Partly because I know what it's like and partly because someone understood what message I am trying to get out and then, taking it to heart. This is what I live for. Thank you Judy for sharing Oscar's page and, hopefully, we can get the word out about this little Boston Terrier who is just trying to do good.


Thank you Judy, Steve, your Boston Terrier Lucy, and your cats Calvin and Hobbs. You will be rewarded with love for your decision to adopt. You will find that it's the best feeling in the world to know that you saved a life and changed Barney's world forever. You are going to be great parents and Barney is going to have a wonderful life.


The next time someone asks me why I have a dog blog or when someone rolls their eyes says and says that it's a stupid idea, I am going to tell them this story. Maybe then they will understand that it's not all fun and games. I don't waste my spare time writing, I am trying to make a difference.

Thank you all for following Oscar and his life. I enjoy hearing your stories, seeing your pictures, and answering your questions.

~ Kathryn Snyder




I will leave you with pictures of Sadie the Survivor. The dog that inspired this adoption story.

















No comments:

Post a Comment